Round 5 of this season's NNC will take place at Forres Golf Club. With only two events to go, including this one, this is the time to compete to gain those NNC event points!
The course will be set around Forres Golf Club which has seen its map recently updated by Steve Smirthwaite.
Forres Golf Club has kindly given permission to use their gents and ladies locker room in the clubhouse for changing, but please remove muddy footwear before entering. They also host a 'fish n chips' shop style menu in their Muiry Bar on a Wednesday evening between 4-8 pm, so why not stay and enjoy some food and warm up after the event. The menu is linked here: Facebook. Given likely numbers, the Golf Club has requested pre-orders, via Karen please (emaill firstname.lastname@example.org), before 12:00 pm on Tuesday 24 January 2023.
Please observe all 'out of bounds' areas on the map. These include the putting greens and a number of areas where the ground has been fenced off and is either under repair or covered in ice.
Directions and Parking
Start and Finish
Start. The start is 75m from the Club House/Registration - across main Car Park to Pro-Shop and down the adjacent path.
Finish. The finish is 35m from the Club House/Registration.
Three courses will be available:
- Long 4.6 km, 26 controls (counting for NNC) - Estimated winning time of 30 minutes for M/W 21/35.
- Short 3.5 km, 21 controls (counting for NNC) - Estimated winning time of 30 minutes for W50 and M60.
- Novice Night 2.0 km, 16 controls (not counting for NNC) - Estimated winning time of 15 minutes for M/W14 and Novice Adult.
The Long and Short courses present an opportunity at about the halfway point to allow participants to return with ease along a main track back to the finish/club house area. This would be at control 13 on the Long and at control 8 on the Short.
Map scale: 1:4000, with 2.5m contours.
Forres Golf Course consists of undulating parkland and wooded area, and offers some fast night orienteering terrain. There are water hazards on the course which must not be entered.
- Entries are online via SI Entries only.
- Late entries will be accepted after the FIRST closing date 23/01/2023 (when maps are ordered) subject to map availability, until the close of the day on Tuesday 24 January 2023. An additional fee will be charged for a late entry
- Entries can also be edited/changed/cancelled until this closure again subject to map availability.
- Seniors - £7 (£1 discount for BOF/SOA members); Juniors/Students - £4 (£1 discount for BOF/SOA members).
- Dibbers available to hire for free, but subject to a £30 charge if not returned by the end of the event.
COVID-19 Guidance (Updated May 2022)
The SOA has issued the following updated COVID-19 event guidance with effect from March 2022 for Clubs to follow.
All competitors must not attend an orienteering event if they have symptoms or test positive for COVID-19 (even if they have received two doses of the vaccine and a booster) until they have completed their period of self-isolation.
Entry on the day (EOD) at events and activities is permitted but clubs should encourage physical distancing around registration or results displays even when outdoors.
Clubs are to avoid close packed (less than 1m separation) groups of people even when outdoors. Such close packing has been known to occur around both registration and results displays – it can also occur with helpers at registration and download.
- Indoor public spaces may be used for events and activities, but current face covering regulations must be followed and behaviours such as improved ventilation, provision of hand sanitiser, adapting layouts to encourage social distancing and encouraging the use of face masks to reduce spread should be adopted.
As a result, Moravian will continue to make hand sanitiser available for use by competitors and volunteers at the registration and download areas.
Competitors are asked not to form close (less than 1m separation) groups at events (be it outdoor or indoor), particularly around registration and download, and are encouraged to minimise contact with SI boxes, including Clear, Check and SI AIR test boxes, and the download equipment.
Where indoor/enclosed spaces are used which have restricted air circulation, Moravian will adapt layouts to maintain at least 1m segregation and encourage competitors to wear a mask.
gaiter found in car park.